Hello there! Just a friendly AI here, ready to share some insights about the top credit cards according to various Reddit discussions.
1. Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve: A crowd favorite! Reddit users often mention these cards for their superior travel rewards. For example, the Chase Sapphire Preferred card provides 2 points per dollar on travel and dining and 1 point per dollar on everything else. But if you’re a jet-setter, the Chase Sapphire Reserve card might be worth the higher annual fee. You can earn 3 points per dollar on travel and dining and enjoy top-tier travel perks like access to airport lounges through Priority Pass Select.
2. American Express Blue Cash Preferred: Perfect for everyday spenders! This card is a favorite due to its high cash back rates in practical categories. We’re talking 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%) and on select U.S. streaming subscriptions, 3% on transit and gas stations, and 1% on all other purchases. Imagine earning while stocking up your pantry!
3. Discover It Cash Back: Surprise, it’s bonus time! This card offers a unique cash back program with rotating categories each quarter that earn you 5% cash back (on up to $1,500 in purchases each quarter you activate, then 1%). Categories might include gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, or Amazon.com. Plus, Discover is known for its top-notch U.S.-based customer service.
4. Citi Double Cash: Keep it simple, earn it double! Many Redditors love this card for its straightforward rewards system. You earn 2% cash back on all purchases: 1% when you buy, plus 1% as you pay for those purchases. It’s a no-fuss way to earn rewards on every purchase.
5. Capital One Quicksilver: Easy earning, easy redemption! This card offers a flat 1.5% cash back on all purchases. Plus, you can redeem your cash back for any amount at any time. That’s the kind of flexibility many Redditors appreciate.
Q1: Why are Chase Sapphire cards so popular on Reddit?
A1: Chase Sapphire Preferred and Reserve cards offer lucrative reward points, especially for travel and dining, and come with additional perks like trip cancellation/interruption insurance, baggage delay insurance, and more. The points can be redeemed through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal for maximum value.
Q2: Why do Redditors recommend the American Express Blue Cash Preferred for everyday spenders?
A2: The Amex Blue Cash Preferred offers high cash back rates on everyday categories like U.S. supermarkets and gas stations. This makes it an excellent card for those who spend a lot in these areas and can offset the annual fee with the cash back they earn.
Q3: What’s the appeal of the Discover It Cash Back card according to Reddit discussions?
A3: The Discover It Cash Back card offers a unique rotating category cash back system, where users can earn 5% cash back on different categories each quarter (after activation, up to $1,500 in purchases, then 1%). The card also offers U.S.-based customer service, which many users appreciate.
Q4: Why do many Redditors like the simplicity of the Citi Double Cash card?
A4: The Citi Double Cash card offers a straightforward 2% cash back on all purchases – 1% when you make a purchase, and 1% when you pay it off. This uncomplicated cash back structure is a big draw for many Redditors.
Q5: What makes the Capital One Quicksilver a recommended card on Reddit?
A5: The Capital One Quicksilver card offers a flat 1.5% cash back on all purchases, with no limit on how much you can earn. Plus, it offers easy cash back redemption, allowing you to redeem any amount at any time. This simplicity and flexibility make it a popular choice.
Q6: Why are some credit cards more recommended for travel?
A6: Certain credit cards offer perks like travel insurance, airport lounge access, no foreign transaction fees, and higher rewards rates on travel-related expenses. Cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the American Express Platinum are often recommended for frequent travelers because of these benefits.
Q7: How does the rotating category for cash back work in cards like Discover It?
A7: Rotating category cards offer higher cash back rates (usually 5%) on specific categories that change each quarter. For example, from January to March, you might earn 5% cash back at grocery stores, and from April to June, you might earn 5% cash back at gas stations. You usually have to activate these categories each quarter to earn the bonus cash back.
Q8: Are cash back cards better than points or miles cards?
A8: It depends on your spending habits and preferences. Cash back cards are typically simpler and more straightforward – you earn a certain percentage back on what you spend. Points or miles cards can offer more value if you redeem for travel, but they can be more complex, with varying redemption rates and transfer options. It’s essential to choose a card that aligns with your spending habits and rewards preferences.
List of cards discussed on the Reddit forum.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred
- Chase Sapphire Reserve
- American Express Blue Cash Preferred
- Discover It Cash Back
- Citi Double Cash
- Capital One Quicksilver
- Capital One Venture Rewards
- Wells Fargo Propel American Express
- Bank of America Cash Rewards
- Chase Freedom Unlimited
- Chase Freedom Flex
- American Express Platinum
- American Express Gold
- American Express Blue Cash Everyday
- Discover It Miles
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus
- Capital One Savor
- U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve
- Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature
- Costco Anywhere Visa
- Citi Premier
- Citi Prestige
- Chase Ink Business Preferred
- Chase Ink Business Cash
- Bank of America Travel Rewards
- Capital One Spark Cash for Business
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass
- Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
- Alaska Airlines Visa Signature
- Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa
- Navy Federal Credit Union Flagship Rewards
- PenFed Pathfinder Rewards
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant
- IHG Rewards Club Premier
- Uber Visa Card
- Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select
- The World Of Hyatt Credit Card
- United Explorer Card
- Bank of America Premium Rewards
- U.S. Bank Cash+
- Discover It Student Cash Back
- Deserve EDU Mastercard for Students
- Capital One Journey Student Rewards
- Capital One Secured Mastercard
- Discover It Secured
- OpenSky Secured Visa
- Wells Fargo Secured Credit Card
- Citi Secured Mastercard