A Mexcation is a Mexican vacation.
There is a ton of fun things to do while there like:
- Visit Mexico City
- Scuba dive in Cozumel
- See Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins
- Sit on beach and swim in the ocean
- Eat food from a street vendor
- Watch mariachi
- Take a boat ride
I recently had the opportunity to visit three beautiful cities in Mexico and was blown away by their unique charm and culture. Each city had its own personality and left a lasting impression on me. From the vibrant colors of Guanajuato to the stunning architecture of Mexico City, I was constantly in awe of the beauty that surrounded me.
My journey began in Guanajuato, a city known for its colorful buildings and winding alleyways. As soon as I stepped off the bus, I was greeted by a sea of vibrant colors and the sound of mariachi music. The city’s colonial architecture and rich history were evident in every corner, from the stunning Basilica of Our Lady of Guanajuato to the iconic Callejón del Beso (Alley of the Kiss). I spent my days exploring the city’s many museums, art galleries, and markets, and every night was filled with delicious food and lively music.
Next, I traveled to Mexico City, the bustling capital of Mexico. As soon as I arrived, I was struck by the city’s impressive architecture, from the towering Palacio de Bellas Artes to the iconic Angel of Independence monument. The city was alive with energy, with street vendors selling everything from tacos to souvenirs, and the sounds of music and laughter filling the air. I spent my days exploring the city’s many museums, parks, and historic sites, and every night was filled with delicious food and lively entertainment.
I spent about $200 usd per day while there and ate very well. I gained 5lbs. It was worth it, I will diet when I get back.
Note that US citizens must have a valid passport.
The average air temperature is 82 degrees all year long.
Warning, do not drink the tap water. You should only drink bottled water.
The locals speak Spanish and some English.
The top places to visit are:
Playa del Carmen
Cabo San Lucas
- Foodcation: A trip focused on trying local cuisine and exploring the culinary culture of a particular region or city.
- Staycation: A vacation spent at home or in your local area, where you can relax and recharge without the hassle of travel.
- Adventurecation: A vacation filled with activities and outdoor adventures, such as hiking, rafting, or skiing.
- Relaxacation: A vacation focused on relaxation and self-care, such as spa treatments, yoga, or meditation.
- Roadcation: A trip where the journey itself is part of the adventure, with stops along the way to explore different destinations and attractions.
- Citycation: A vacation centered around exploring the sights, sounds, and culture of a particular city, such as New York, Paris, or Tokyo.
- Winecation: A trip that focuses on visiting wineries and vineyards to sample local wines and learn about the winemaking process.
- Beachcation: A vacation spent lounging on the beach, swimming in the ocean, and soaking up the sun.
- Solocation: A solo trip taken for the purpose of self-discovery, adventure, or relaxation.
- Romancation: A romantic getaway for couples, whether it’s a weekend escape or a longer vacation.
- Texcation: fun trip to Texas.
1. Is Mexico safe for travel? Should I bring a superhero cape just in case?
Mexico is a popular travel destination with plenty of amazing experiences to offer. While like any country, it’s always good to exercise caution and stay informed about your surroundings. But don’t worry, you won’t need a superhero cape. Just be a savvy traveler, keep an eye on your belongings, and embrace the adventure.
2. What are the must-visit destinations in Mexico?
Mexico is like a treasure trove of stunning destinations. From the pristine beaches of Cancun and Playa del Carmen to the historical wonders of Chichen Itza and Teotihuacan, there’s something for everyone. Don’t forget the vibrant city life of Mexico City or the picturesque charm of Guanajuato. It’s like having a buffet of travel options—just pick and choose what suits your taste buds!
3. Is it true that Mexico has the best tacos in the universe?
Absolutely! Mexico is like the taco mecca of the world. From street vendors to upscale restaurants, you’ll find an endless variety of mouthwatering tacos. Whether it’s al pastor, carne asada, or fish tacos, each bite is like a flavor explosion that will make your taste buds do a happy dance. Just be warned, you might develop a serious addiction to Mexican tacos!
4. Can I try tequila shots without ending up like a dancing cactus?
Of course! Mexico is famous for its tequila, but moderation is the key. Enjoying a few shots responsibly is like a fun party trick, but going overboard might turn you into that dancing cactus you mentioned. So, sip it slowly, embrace the flavors, and remember to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. It’s like finding the right rhythm to keep the party going without losing your step.
5. Is it true that Mexico has stunning beaches? Can I borrow a shovel and build a sandcastle?
Oh, absolutely! Mexico is home to some of the world’s most beautiful beaches. From the crystal-clear waters of the Riviera Maya to the golden sands of Baja California, you’ll find paradise at every turn. Feel free to borrow a shovel and build a sandcastle—it’s like embracing your inner child and creating your own beach kingdom. Just watch out for those sneaky waves—they might try to steal your castle!
6. Can I explore ancient ruins and channel my inner Indiana Jones?
Definitely! Mexico is like a treasure trove of ancient ruins waiting to be explored. Visit the majestic ruins of Tulum, where you can imagine yourself as a daring adventurer. Or wander through the mystical city of Palenque, feeling like an archaeologist unraveling ancient secrets. Just remember, leave the whip at home—exploring the ruins is all about respect and appreciation for the rich history.
7. Is it safe to swim with dolphins? Will they teach me their secret language?
Swimming with dolphins is like having a magical encounter with intelligent creatures. It’s a unique experience that will make you feel like you’re in your own dolphin-themed movie. But don’t worry, they won’t reveal their secret language. You might learn a few dolphin-like sounds, but fluent communication is still a work in progress.
8. Can I bring back a piñata as a souvenir? Will customs officials think I’m hosting a party?
You’re welcome to bring back a piñata as a fun and colorful souvenir! Customs officials won’t mistake you for hosting a party, but they might ask about your plans.
9. Is it safe to try street food? Will my taste buds do a salsa dance?
Trying street food in Mexico is like embarking on a culinary adventure. Your taste buds will definitely do a salsa dance when you indulge in flavorful tacos, tamales, and elotes. Just follow the local crowds and look for busy food stalls. Remember, the key is to choose vendors with good hygiene practices. So, dig in and let your taste buds savor the symphony of flavors!
10. Can I explore cenotes and become an underwater explorer? Will I find hidden treasures?
Absolutely! Exploring cenotes is like diving into a hidden world of natural wonders. These freshwater sinkholes are perfect for snorkeling or diving adventures. While you might not find ancient treasures, you’ll discover stunning rock formations, crystal-clear waters, and an otherworldly atmosphere. It’s like stepping into a magical realm where mermaids might just be lurking!
11. Is it customary to haggle at markets? Can I bring my best bargaining skills?
Haggling at markets is like a lively dance between buyer and seller. While it’s common in many places, it’s not always the norm in every market. So, brush up on your bargaining skills, bring your best poker face, and be ready for some friendly negotiations. Just remember, it’s all part of the experience, so have fun and find those unique treasures at a bargain!
12. Can I take a siesta on a hammock without getting tangled like a confused spider?
Taking a siesta on a hammock is like floating on a cloud of relaxation. It’s a true art form that might require some practice to avoid getting tangled up like a confused spider. So, find your balance, sway gently, and let the soothing Mexican breeze carry you into a state of pure bliss. Just don’t forget the sunscreen—you don’t want to wake up looking like a roasted churro!
13. Can I catch a glimpse of vibrant mariachi bands and join in the fiesta? Will they teach me their lively dance moves?
Mexico is known for its vibrant mariachi bands that can turn any gathering into a festive fiesta. Feel free to join in the celebration, tap your feet to the lively music, and embrace the infectious energy. While the mariachi bands might not have time to teach you their dance moves, you can certainly let the rhythm guide your hips and join the party with your own unique style!
14. Is it true that in Mexico, even the cacti wear sombreros? Can I borrow one for a desert photoshoot?
While it’s a charming image, cacti in sombreros might be a bit hard to find in Mexico. But don’t worry, you can still find plenty of vibrant sombreros to spice up your desert photoshoot. Embrace the cultural flair, strike a pose, and let the desert backdrop be the canvas for your Instagram-worthy moments. Just watch out for those prickly cacti—they might not wear sombreros, but they sure know how to protect their territory!
15. Can I unleash my inner luchador and join a wrestling match? Will my spandex suit be fashion-forward?
Unleashing your inner luchador is like stepping into the world of Mexican wrestling. While it might be tempting to join a wrestling match, it’s best to leave it to the professionals. However, don’t hesitate to cheer on the wrestlers from the crowd, marvel at their acrobatic moves, and let the excitement of the match wash over you. As for the spandex suit, well, let’s just say it’s a fashion statement best left to the luchadors!
16. Can I learn to dance salsa like a pro? Will my hips sway with rhythm?
Learning to dance salsa in Mexico is like embracing the heartbeat of Latin rhythms. While becoming a pro might take some time, don’t be afraid to join a dance class or hit the dance floor at a local club. Let your hips sway with the music, and who knows, you might just surprise yourself with your hidden dance talent. Just remember, it’s all about having fun and enjoying the lively spirit of salsa!
17. Can I float on a colorful piñata raft in the crystal-clear waters? Will it make me the center of attention?
While a colorful piñata raft sounds like a whimsical dream, it’s not the most practical water vessel. However, you can still be the center of attention by enjoying activities like paddleboarding or kayaking in Mexico’s beautiful waters. Embrace the sunshine, feel the refreshing splashes, and make a splash of your own. Just remember, leave the piñatas on land—they prefer parties that don’t involve water!
18. Can I try my luck at finding a hidden treasure like a modern-day pirate? Will X mark the spot?
Mexico has a rich history of hidden treasures, but finding one might require a bit of luck and a whole lot of digging. While the odds of stumbling upon a chest of gold are slim, you can still explore local markets and artisan shops to find unique treasures like handcrafted jewelry or intricate artwork. Who knows, you might uncover a gem that speaks to your heart and becomes your personal treasure!
19. Can I learn to roll my “Rs” like a true Mexican? Will I sound like a purring cat?
Rolling your “Rs” like a true Mexican can be quite a linguistic challenge, but with practice, you might just master the art. Imagine the sound of a purring cat, vibrating with each “R” you roll. So, embrace the language, have fun with it, and don’t be afraid to let your tongue do a little dance of its own. Just be prepared for some laughter and applause when you nail that perfect “R” sound!
20. Can I channel my inner Frida Kahlo and embrace my artistic side? Will my unibrow become a fashion statement?
Embracing your inner Frida Kahlo is like channeling the spirit of creativity and self-expression. While sporting a unibrow might not be everyone’s fashion choice, you can still pay homage to Frida’s artistic legacy by visiting her museum in Mexico City or exploring the local art scene. Let your creative juices flow and discover your own unique artistic voice. Remember, it’s all about celebrating individuality and embracing the beauty of self-expression!
21. Can I have a contest with a speed-eating champion and devour endless amounts of tacos? Will I earn a trophy of honor?
While it might be tempting to engage in a speed-eating contest with a taco in hand, it’s best to savor each delicious bite. Tacos are meant to be enjoyed, not devoured in a race. So, take your time, appreciate the flavors, and let the culinary journey be a delightful experience. And who needs a trophy when you can have the satisfaction of a happy and content belly?
22. Can I learn to make traditional Mexican dishes and become a master chef? Will my kitchen turn into a fiesta zone?
Absolutely! Learning to make traditional Mexican dishes is like unlocking the secrets of a flavorful cuisine. Channel your inner chef, gather the ingredients, and let the kitchen become your fiesta zone. Whether it’s crafting the perfect guacamole, mastering the art of tamales, or creating mouthwatering enchiladas, your culinary adventure will leave your taste buds dancing with joy. Just be prepared for a kitchen filled with aromatic spices and a chorus of delicious flavors!
23. Can I become a master tequila taster and earn the title of “Tequila Connoisseur”? Will my friends see me as the ultimate party host?
Becoming a master tequila taster is like embarking on a spirited adventure. Embrace the flavors, savor each sip, and develop your palate. While you might not instantly become a “Tequila Connoisseur,” your friends will surely appreciate your newfound knowledge. Host a tequila tasting party, share your expertise, and let the good times flow. Just remember, with great tequila comes great responsibility—so drink responsibly and be the ultimate party host with a touch of Mexican flair!
24. Can I unleash my inner mariachi and serenade the streets with my melodious voice? Will I become a local celebrity?
Unleashing your inner mariachi is like embracing the soulful rhythms of Mexico. While serenading the streets might make you the talk of the town, it’s best to leave the professional performances to the talented musicians. However, don’t let that stop you from joining a lively karaoke night or belting out a few tunes at a local bar. Who knows, you might become a temporary sensation and earn the title of “Karaoke King” or “Queen”!
25. Can I befriend a chatty parrot and engage in multilingual conversations? Will we become the talk of the animal kingdom?
Befriending a chatty parrot is like having a feathered companion to share your adventures with. While multilingual conversations might be a stretch, you can engage in playful banter and enjoy their colorful company. Just remember, parrots are known for their mischievousness, so be prepared for some unexpected surprises and feathered antics. Who knows, you might just become the talk of the animal kingdom with your charismatic parrot sidekick!
26. Can I take a leap of faith and go cliff diving like a daredevil? Will my splash make a big splash?
Taking a leap of faith and going cliff diving is like embracing your inner daredevil. While making a big splash might seem enticing, it’s important to prioritize safety and choose reputable diving spots with experienced guides. Enjoy the adrenaline rush, feel the rush of wind, and experience the thrill of conquering your fears. Just remember to make a splash that’s remembered for all the right reasons!
27. Can I soak in the vibrant colors of Mexican art and become an art connoisseur? Will my walls transform into an art gallery?
Soaking in the vibrant colors of Mexican art is like immersing yourself in a visual feast. Explore local art galleries, visit museums, and let the artwork ignite your imagination. While your walls might not transform into a gallery overnight, you can bring a piece of Mexican art home and create your personal artistic haven. Let the colors and creativity inspire you to see the world through a new lens.
28. Can I learn the art of Mexican handicrafts and create my own masterpiece? Will my creations rival Frida Kahlo’s?
Learning the art of Mexican handicrafts is like delving into a world of creativity and tradition. From pottery to embroidery, there’s a vast array of techniques to explore. While your creations might not immediately rival Frida Kahlo’s masterpieces, they’ll be a unique expression of your own artistic journey. So, gather your supplies, embrace the creative process, and let your imagination run wild. Who knows, you might just uncover a hidden talent!